Yesterday when Joe brought Bayley home, he said that Bayley had been in "rare form" that day. She decided to hit some kit for no apparent reason and was put in time out. Later, she bit another kid ON THE FACE!! Time out again. What has gotten into my sassypants daughter? Yeesh. She's never done it before I hope that was her first and last time. I don't want to be the mom of that kid.
You know what I'm talking about: the kid who throws rocks, bites/kicks/hits other kids, the potty mouthed kid, etc. I was struggling with something in Bayley's room while Joe changed her diaper (I'm documenting for all to see that Joe changed a diaper!) and I said, "Dang it!" Bayley then chimed back, "Dang it!" Joe just looked at me. Why do I feel guilty when he says all sorts of very colorful words all the time, and I'm constantly reminding him to watch his mouth? "Dang it" isn't a bad word, so to speak, but I still don't want my 2 year old loudmouth running around saying it.
I guess I'm preparing for the worst. She stuck her hands up in the air Sunday afternoon and shook her booty at me and said, "neneh neneh neneh!" (or however you spell it) because she thought I couldn't reach her with the water hose. I got a good laugh out of that, but then realized that she's sort of learning how to "talk back." She likes to push things out of her way and tell you, "I don't want that!" or she'll push me and say, "Go away!"
I'm glad she's expressing herself, but why do they have to be so mean?? Last night she slapped me (not hard) on the face and I told her that that wasn't nice and gave her a very sad look. She tried to lean into me for a hug (without hugging me) and I just kept looking down and very sad. She whimpered out, "Sorry," so I hugged her and told her, "Thank you." I want her to learn that while it's not okay to hit, she'll be forgiven with a sincere apology.
Finding the right balance between discipline, forgivness, and love is going to be tough, but I am not the mother who screams at her kid, nor am I the mom who just lets it slide or makes excuses. I want her to be well-balanced and think before she speaks/acts.
Maybe I need to teach myself that sometimes. :)
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Allie is going through the same attitude sassy stage right now. It's frustrating and can be cute at the same time.
Little drama queens for girls we have and boy does it start early! :)
Cole yells "DAME-IT" all the time- he is totally confused between "dang it, darn it, and (my personal fave) dammit!"
Ugh.
I think you are doing the best you can. Kids will be kids and two year olds are busy testing ALL THE BOUNDARIES. It is our job as parents to show them where those boundaries are.
Everyone's kid is bad sometimes. Don't worry about it too much.
Post a Comment