Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Junk Mail and Momma Bear vs DQ

I am trying to refinance my mortgage and holy crap... the stress of it all may just kill me.

And why do I keep getting so much junk mail lately?

Bayley's birthday party was a successful. Smaller crowd because it happened during spring break, but she got some really great gifts. I went overboard as usual but she LOVED it! I can't believe my little princess is TWO! YEARS! OLD!

She's speaking in 2-3 word sentences now and it's just precious. "Where dat?" "Who dat?" "Mommy okay?" "I want juice..." and so on. It's definitely calmed her tantrums somewhat. I am glad because the girl can THROW DOWN. My mom is her biggest fan and even she says that Bayley looks like the kid on tv and in movies who throws a monster fit in the middle of the store. Yes, that's my kid. It's always in Target too. Maybe all the red sets her into a fury. I don't know.

Speaking of childish behavior, there is a girl at daycare who is a teacher (we'll call her DQ)and she always says how Bayley is her favorite. She has two boys and so she really wants a little girl. She seems kind of fake to me because whenever a parent shows up she has to compliment the parent and the child. I notice she does it a LOT so it makes it seem disingenuous.

They have this sheet that they call "Toddler Talk" that tells you how your child ate and when they were changed. That's all great, but I really like to know if she slept and WHEN she ate, not HOW she ate. Bayley's old daycare had the perfect form. I spoke with all the main teachers in the room and asked if I could make up a new form. They all agreed and finally I did. I made it half a page instead of their whole page of wasted space, and made a ton of copies for them. The director and two of the main teachers loved it. I gave it to them Thursday. On Friday I took Bayley in for half a day of daycare and showed up while the kids were laying down for a nap. DQ apparently does not have an "inside voice" and practically shouted HI BAYLEY and then proceeded to tell me about how all the parents "hated" the new form and was it okay for them to go back to the old form? She had already pointed out a "typo" which I researched and it's NOT a typo (whiny and whiney are both acceptable) and then she said I needed to change "daycare" to "preschool" on the name. I just said that was fine. She kept going on and on and on about it and I cut her off and said, "That's fine, DQ. I was just trying to help out and save you guys some money." She said, "Oh, I know..." and kept talking. I just started talking to Bayley and got her things and left.

It's a daycare and you always encounter the Drama Queen (hence the DQ label. ha) with the childish behavior. I'm not trying to be all buddy buddy with the teachers but two of them have become my friends. One of them took care of Bayley at her old daycare in the infant room, so she knows Bayley since she was 6 weeks old. So yes, I have developed a friendly relationship with her. The other teacher Bayley LOVES and that teacher spoils Bayley. Bayley always wants this teacher to hold her and the teacher happily obliges. It's pretty cute. We have mutual friends in common and a lot of things in common despite our age difference (she's 19).

I've heard several things 2nd and 3rd hand so I take most of it with a grain of salt. However, one story is really bothering me and I talked to the director. I didn't tell the director the story, I just said that DQ makes me uncomfortable. The director said, "I've already spoken with another parent today that has a problem with DQ too. I'll be taking care of it." I thanked her and left.

The story? Well, DQ apparently is jealous that Bayley calls the other two main teachers "momma" sometimes. This doesn't bother me because Bayley knows that I'm her mommy and the teachers are not. These teachers do not encourage it, but they love Bayley to pieces. DQ took it upon herself to chase Bayley around one day, trying to pick her up (Bay was running away from her) and she tries to get Bayley to call HER "momma." This bothers me.

1. Do NOT chase my child down just so you can hold her. If she doesn't want to be held, and she's not in danger, leave her alone!

2. DO NOT try to get her to call you "momma" or anything other than your name. It will just set me into Momma Bear mode.

1 comment:

Corby and Lauren said...

What in the world?!?!? That DQ lady sounds ridiculous! Who wants to be called "momma" when they are clearly not he momma?!?! I hope she learns to appreciate you... I always loved having hands-on parents when I worked at a child development center. They made me a better teacher!