
Waiting to hear back from pediatrician's office. Yesterday was ROUGH. She hadn't slept the night before and therefore I didn't either. I was a walking zombie. I cried to my husband and he took her for a bit then called my neighbor and she took Bayley to her house for an hour and I passed out. I got up and went to get Bayley and she said that Bay was definitely fussy, it wasn't just me.
WOO HOO. Ped's office just called. Glycerin suppositories. Is that how you spell it? Anyway... babies can go up to 3 days without pooping, then you need to intervene. Just FYI, if you need to know. So after I finish my lunch I'm headed to Target to get her some poop stimulator.
I have a new respect for moms. Seriously. The newborn phase is rough. I mean, Bay is 8 weeks old but she's considered a week old because she was so early. Last night we slet for 8 hours (not without waking up because her tummy hurt her and I'd have to move her) and then got up and she took a bottle, changed her diaper, and then went back to bed... and slept another 2.5 hours. When I was talking to the phone nurse, she said missing a feeding during the night is okay every once in a while if you need the sleep... but I wonder why missing ONE feeding a day is so bad. I mean, Bay didn't act starving when I fed her this morning. She took it calmly and then was ready to go back to sleep. Should I still be waking her up and having her eat after 4 hours? To be honest, I really dont' want to. I mean, I'm GRATEFUL for the sleep. And after 8 weeks of being up all the time, I'm thankful she sleeps longer. So does this mean I should go 8 weeks after her due date to let her sleep through the night?
Why don't hospitals send a manual home with new parents?!
Oh... I gave up on breastfeeding when my milk just wasn't coming in enough and I was exhausted. I tried for 6 weeks. So I gave it an honest effort.
Anyway, I'm headed over to get my behbeh some poop med.
6 comments:
I am no doctor, but I would let her sleep for as long as she wanted. She won't starve to death if she misses a feeding. In fact, she'll probably make up for it by eating an extra bottle during the day. Our pediatrician told us to never wake a sleeping baby, and I think this is wonderful advice for a sleep deprived mommy.
Hang in there! Things will get easier. In a year, you will barely remember these sleepless nights.
The problem is that every doctor has a different philosophy. I had such a rough time when Eliza was a newborn. Her pediatrictian really, REALLY pushed breastfeeding, and it never happened. Like you, we tried and tried, it just did't work. Also, with the waking up thing - all doctors will say different things. As a mom of three and almost four, I say, let her sleep! Doctors are helpful, but they sure can stress out new moms. I think you are doing the right thing. Just trust your instincts. You are a great mom! I have also used suppositories with my kids. They really help.
That definitely sounds rough. We had some serious sleeping issues the first couple months- but now it seems like ancient history. If it was me though, I would definitely always keep in mind that she was 8 weeks early and not hold her to anything that she wouldn't (probably) have been doing until 8 weeks later. 8 weeks is FOREVER in baby time.
Keep up the good work!! It only gets better and better and better!! : )
This is coming from a mother who felt like her child never slept...so take that in to consideration. I say let her sleep.
It does get better, you are doing a fabulous job. I can tell by your concern you are a fabulous mama.
Hopefully you start getting some more sleep. I was looking at the pic of her and daddy and she is so tiny!! She is so freaking cute, you are blessed. You really are doing a good job. I wouldn't worry, you are doing great!
Poor Bay!! It must be so frustrating because she can't really tell you what exactly is wrong with her (well not that you don't know that she is consipated duh me!) Hopefully the suposotories help her out and she starts to feel better. And if you need a little bit of sleep then I say she probably does too...just let her sleep :)
Post a Comment