




Dearest Husband Of Mine:
This morning I was so upset when I was dropping Bayley off at daycare and noticed a sign announcing the Christmas party where Santa would be handing out presents to all the kids. The note had apparently been up for a week or two, because it was asking parents to please giftwrap a book for your child and give it to the front desk by TODAY. I asked the teachers in Bayley's class if the other babies' parents had done it and all had. Bayley was going to be the only baby to not receive a gift. Yes, I know she's only (almost) 9 months old and wouldn't care or notice. But I would notice. I don't want her to be "that kid" whose parents never participate or bring things for their child. (I was that child. My mom was a single mom and she never cared or she'd forget about school things so I was "that kid" who never brought food for parties, a gift for gift exchange, etc.)
I was never told about the Christmas party and was so upset. I called you, darling hubby, and whined to you about how I didn't want to be "that parent." You told me to not worry about it, she's too young to care and we got off the phone. I cried all the way to work, knowing how ridiculous it was for me to be so upset. I will NOT be that mother who doesn't take an active interest in everything her child does, wants to know her child's friends, their parents, and her child's teachers. I want to be involved in the PTO when she starts school, be with her every step of the way. I want to be her mom first, best friend second. And I want it even now. She may be too young to realize this, but it's my job to realize it and make it happen for her now.
After I got to work, I realized you had called and returned your call. You asked when Bayley's "shindig" was and said you had to leave work to head that way anyway and would try to get a book to her in time. This put a smile on my face. I know that when I get upset, you always stand up and take action to remedy things for me. (I love that about you.)
45 minutes later, you call again and tell me that you "hauled ass" home, grabbed a book, wrapped it complete with ribbon and two bows, and rushed to daycare to deliver her giftwrapped book. And then you went in to say hi and play with her for a few minutes. She was ecstatic to see you, and daycare said, "Awww... she sure knows who her daddy is..." while she jumped and squealed excitement just because you're you. She had no idea of the thoughtful, wonderful gesture you had just done for HER, because she's too young to notice or care. But you knew it was your job to notice and care for her. And when I choked out a, "Thank you so much. That means a lot to me," you said, "Well, I didn't want her to be left out."
You may annoy me to no end some days, but other times you impress me with your thoughtfulness, creativity, and generosity. I cannot tell you how huge this gesture is to me, and will be someday to Bayley. Yes, I will tell her all about it. :)
Thank you for being such an incredible father, husband, and best friend. I don't think I tell you this enough, but you are definitely the love of my life and my soulmate. I couldn't have chosen a better father to our daughter. I love you more than words can express. Thank you again.
I love you,
Jiff.
10 comments:
What a sweet husband!
That is so sweet, I am impressed. Well done - both of you. :)
very sweet. we are lucky to have great hubbys
How sweet.
what a sweetheart!
He did good. What a good daddy and husband. You are lucky!
Awww....good job, daddy.
Cheers for good husbands!
Hip hip hooray!
i love nothing more than a good monday morning cry, thanks! you have a rad husband too. so sweet!
OMG **SNIFF** (wipes nose on sleeve)- either I am incredibly emotional right now or that is the sweetest thing EVER... or both!
Post a Comment