Monday, June 8, 2009

Bad Bedside Manner.

Bayley has a virus or allergies. She is very snotty (the thick, green kind... you're welcome for the description, btw.) and her eyes have a green goopiness to them. In the mornings, she wakes up with her eyes matted shut. It's pretty pitiful, but at least it doesn't freak her out.

So anyway.

I took her to the after hours clinic on Saturday evening because she was running a low grade fever and digging in her ears. I knew it was probably a cold or allergies but she's been digging in her ears for a couple of weeks now and I just wanted her ears checked. The doctor was in and out in less than 5 minutes, took Bayley from me to lay her down (which made her VERY upset), and had the bedside manner of a robot.

It is a 25 minute drive to this clinic from my house. I spent almost an hour in driving time, 5 minutes at the doctor, only to be handed a prescription for eye drops and then sent out the door. I'm glad her ears are okay, but dang. Bedside manner, please?

I guess I have a higher standard for patient care because I work in healthcare. I see both sides of it and can understand if someone is swamped or had a complicated case. But I also expect the physician to "dumb it down" for parents and calm/soothe parents' concerns. This clinic was EMPTY except for us. And I didn't take her to the ER where I know she would've been much better taken care of, but hello... it wasn't an emergency and that co-pay is $150 vs the $25 office visit copay. ERs are already overcrowded because people don't go to their PCP...but that's a whole OTHER post. :)

Anyway, that's my gripe about bad bedside manner for today. :) HAPPY MONDAY!!!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Ugh I hate it when doctor's don't bother with good bedside manner. In my opinion it is one of the most important parts of being a healer. You need to be particularly sensitive with babies! I would write a review on their website if I were you!

Heidi said...

I hear ya! It is like that with me and customer service. When did it become ok to be rude or dismissive? I miss the good ol' days.

Anonymous said...

Gah. Stupid doctor. Been there, done that, which is why we don't like to go see the ped in the first place.

Many good vibes to Bayley that this clears up soon!

Alicia W. said...

Poor thing! What a dick!! You would think it would have to be mandatory to be nice to patients. Yeah they might walk around like they are Mr. know it alls but we still put on our pants the same way every day.

Rachel said...

I hate doctors like that. Bailey get better!!

Stephanie said...

Poor sweetie!. How is she feeling now??

And I hate that. Some doctors are assholes.