Friday, February 26, 2010

Bill Binder

A year or so ago I felt overwhelmed by our bills and all that I have to try to keep up with, so I created a Bill Binder. I took an ordinary 3 ring binder and put dividers in it. I have 5 sections:

  • Living Expenses
  • Medical (Joe, Jenn, & Bayley)
  • Z (because we are required to pay half of all incurred expenses)
  • Credit Cards
  • Misc
I keep the original of all bills and write on them what I've paid, when, and how (check, bill pay, etc). I keep this in there and staple the newest bill on top and repeat the process until something is paid off (this applies to the big bills like hospital, etc). It goes to the back pocket when it's paid off. I keep that for a few months then retire it to a folder called "Paid/Completed Debts" that I keep in my desk drawer.

Even if I can only afford to pay $10 on a bill, it's nice to have it marked as paid and it shows me that I'm closer to paying something off. Keeps me motivated to get it paid off.

I have neglected my binder for a few months and am now back on track. It feels good.

4 comments:

Jen said...

That sounds like a good system. Better than my husband's system of stacking papers EVERYWHERE. AT least he writes PAID on them when their paid though... maybe I should get him a BINDER?

Stephanie said...

I love your system!! Sounds like a great plan and it's awesome to keep adding to the paid off pile :)

Stephanie said...

That sounds like a great system! It's a great feeling to pay something off for sure. We only have one credit card and we don't really ever use it, so that is nice. But there always seems to be a medical bill or something else to pay!

misguidedmommy said...

am copying you RIGHT NOW