Sorry for the delay in posting quiz answers. This whole working full time, going to school full time, and having a clingy, teething toddler is kinda tiring. But I know no one really cares about the details of my daily life so I'll skip over those parts.
I was sitting in class today (visual art) and noticed the girls around me. They are all thin, VERY tanned, mani/pedis are current, and they wear short shorts and tight t-shirts while some wore their pjs. I remember the days of walking to class and going in pj pants with no makeup, hair pulled up/back, and being carefree. This is more of a commuter university so you see more adult students who are coming back to school and those dressed in work clothes. Anyway, I sat there thinking about how I'm getting older. I'm not old, per se, but I'm no longer the younger adult. I get called ma'am by teenagers, "that lady," "Bayley's mom," or something that reminds me I'm now on the adult side of the fence.
It occured to me for the first time when we bought our house and there were kids everywhere. We are called Ms. Jennifer and Mr. Joe ...well, the kids mainly call him Joe but I'm still Ms. Jennifer. Joe is really like a 15 year old in a 34 year old body. It's not that I'm afraid of aging, but it kind of sucks to realize my "youth" is fading. Slowly, but it's fading. I have been thin most of my life and the last several years I've been overweight. I was upset about it for so long and now I'm okay with it. I am happy and if all I have to complain about is extra weight, well, I'll take it. Of course, I think about how I'd like to be thin and be the cute mom at Z's sports functions, but I don't really want the attention of anyone. I love the attention to be on Bayley and Z.
So as I sit in class and look around me, I recognize the bored stares and the glancing at the clock, the eyes that are discreetly checking out the opposite sex in the room wondering who is single, and the youthful ignorance of the great opportunity of attending college and gaining knowledge. I look at them and smile, knowing that although I'm still young, I'm not as youthful as I was. I appreciate the opportunity of going to college and I am genuinely interested in learning. Even in the required "blow off" classes like Intro to Visual Art. I smile as I walk across campus to my class, knowing I have fought hard to get back into school. I think most people should go straight into the workforce for a couple of years after high school before you can attend college. That way, you see how hard it is to pay bills with an entry level job and you appreciate the money that pays for those college courses. You appreciate the opportunity to choose your path and make grown up decisions.
All that said, I bet those of you kind enough to read my blog are saying, "Great! You like college. WHAT ARE THE QUIZ ANSWERS?!" hehe. Sorry. I'm feeling philosophical and whatnot.
The answers are:
1. Pink Floyd cover art of the album "Animals"
2. Radiohead cover art of the album "Amnesiac"
3. Iron Maiden cover art of the album "Best of the Beast"
So you see that they are all album covers. Interesting, huh. I totally didn't get the connection either. I mean, I listen to Pink Floyd occasionally and Radiohead more often than Pink Floyd, but they are on my ipod and I just don't look at cover art. Sad thing, really, when bands no longer have to create an interesting album cover because no one really notices them anymore.
Don't feel dumb for not knowing because I didn't either. I said the first one made me think of pollution and sounds of traffic: cars honking, engines revving, etc. The second one I said reminded me of my toddler hunching in the corner to go poop, and the third I said reminded me of middle school when my brother was in high school because he listened to Iron Maiden.
One thing that made me really happy with the Visual Art quiz was seeing new names that left a comment. Thank you!
And for those of you who are kind enough to read me regularly, I'm glad I am not alone in my ignorance of album covers. :)
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Well I was way off with tragedy then :)
I'm scared of getting old..not that I don't want to grow older but I am just scared of all the stuff that happens when you get old although I wouldn't go back to being a teenager either :)
Well, duh! I was searching for something deeper. Trying to be all smart and stuff. I didn't post an answer because I couldn't come up with a smart one. BUT I TOTALLY KNEW THEY WERE ALL ALBUM COVERS! *pouts* I always miss the obvious.
Yep I guess I went for deeper..lol..aometimes it is not deep at all..glad you are enjoying the class.
I would have never gotten that.
Did ANYONE in the class give that answer?
Hey, Haven't been by in a while - not sure where this summer got to! Anyways, good for you for going back to school! I'm thinking of doing the same, just can't wrap my brain around how I will do it with two little ones. But I know it will be much different this time around because I will appreciate it, and will have actual life experiences to apply to what I'm learning!
Post a Comment