This weekend I had plans to come into work on Saturday for a few hours to catch up some things I didn't complete since I came in late Monday for Z's social work appointment. While I did that (with Bayley), Joe was going to go collect some samples for his research project that's due today, then we were going to meet up and go to his nephew's wedding. We were going to leave early so we could go just past the wedding to get one more sample his professor requested, then come back to make the wedding and then go home. We'd then do our nightly routine and lay on the couch watching tv for an hour after Bayley was asleep and be well rested Sunday.
None of that happened the way it was supposed to. But that's life, huh.
It poured all Saturday morning so we stayed home and watched DVDs. We got ready and left early for the wedding but made a wrong turn on the way to the place to collect samples, so we were late getting to that. Then the water level was too high and moving too fast for Joe to get any samples. Bayley was fussy from being in the car for too long and so I let her walk around the area and she got her dress dirty on the back. I didn't care. It wasn't bad and she was walking some energy off. So Joe tried to walk to different parts of the area and no sample.
I change into comfy clothes and Bayley is not happy that she's back in her carseat. We drive back to the town where the wedding was and it's now almost Bayley's bedtime and 2 hours past the wedding. Reception may still be going on, but I don't want to show up in casual clothes that are muddy and we're all tired. So we stop at McDonalds to get a happy meal and Bayley is walking all over the restaurant. People are stopping to look at her and those quick, tiny feet. She's 29 inches tall, 16 months old, and wears a 3-6 month size shoe. Tiny feet. So the only shoes she can wear are infant shoes. Infant shoes are soft soled and toddlers need hard soles. So she wears these tiny pink crocs. I know many people hate crocs, but they're cute on little kids and these are all I can find in her size with a hard sole.
Anyway, she's enjoying the attention and she does look awfully cute in her little pink with white polka dots dress and matching hairbow...with light pink crocs. :)
We get home and are exhausted and feel icky. We hear a dog barking but it sounds like our Husky. Who NEVER barks. So I get Bayley inside and ask Joe to go check. Just as I'm getting Bayley changed I hear "JENNIFER!!!" So I put her down and run to the back deck. Joe has a flashlight in his hand pointed at a SNAKE. I think I peed my pants. He tells me to come here.
Me: NO.
Joe: I need a shovel!
I run and grab a shovel then stand on the deck about 20 feet away from him.
Joe: Bring it here!
Me: Oh HELL no!
Joe comes and grabs the shovel and as he does so, Makana jumps in front of Joe and the snake BITES MAKANA IN THE FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joe asks me to hold the flashlight and I am shaking as I hold it on the snake.
Joe never kills snakes. NEVER. But this one he did.
1. It bit his dog.
2. It was poisonous -- a cottonmouth. They're aggressive. And it was headed back to our front yard to get away from Joe, so it could've bitten one of the kids running around out front. Or Bayley. Or me. *shudder*
He hesitated before he did it, as he is a conservationist and loves snakes.
(Yuck. Not me. I have the most unhealthy fear of snakes.)
So he and our neighbor Tanner had to rush Makana to the emergency vet. Makana's face was puffy, he was very lethargic, and his breathing was labored. So Joe calls me to ask, "You want the house painted or you want to get Makana anti-venom?" WTF? Turns out, they wanted $1800 for anti-venom! So the two other options were:
$550 to keep him for 6-8 hours hooked up to fluids and they'd watch him; or
$250 - $350 to give him 4 prescription meds and let us take him home and watch him.
We chose the $300 route. We gave him the 4 Rx's and the instructed Benadryl. So he's on 5 meds and doing okay. He's still not 100%, but he will stand up and wag his tail. And he has an appetite, so that's good. This is the same dog who was shot in the leg a few months ago. :(
So that aside, Sunday was okay. Then this morning, Bayley woke up at 4:30am. She was restless and crying/screaming. Gave her Tylenol, changed her diaper, and rocked her to sleep. Then she woke up. Rock to sleep. Woke up. Shampoo, rinse, and repeat.
I am exhausted today. Didn't shower and came to work. I look terrible but don't care. Going to take a nap for my lunch then get a big fat sweet tea to drink when I get up. Then I'll shower.
My Dad and stepmom are coming to see Bayley walk as soon as we get home. House isn't clean. I just don't care now. I hate when Mondays start like this. But we get Zach this week so at least he'll be a good kid for us. :)
Monday, August 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Brutal! Sorry your weekend was so chaotic. I am going to have a crazy effing monday as well..
Seriously, that was the WORST WEEKEND EVER. I'm sorry. I sure hope it gets better this week. Truly.
Oh my god! I am so glad that your dog is okay...that must of been incredibly scary! My biggest fear is snakes!!!!! I can't imagine it biting someone though. $1800...wow!!!!! That's crazy...they charge outrageous amounts these days. Bandit broke his leg about 4 years ago and it cost us well over $2000 to get it fixed.
Hope Bayley will sleep for you tonight and you get some rest :)
By the way have you tried Stride Rite? I love their shoes and have a pretty good selection.
Here's hoping that the upcoming weekend will be better for you. Makana's quite a trooper, WOW! What a wonderful dog.
And yeah, I hear you about tiny feet and the lack of tiny shoes. Am wondering myself how I'm going to manage this once Little Miss Kickboxer starts toddlin'.
Post a Comment