Monday, May 11, 2009

Cry Me a River.

What is it about having kids that makes you tear up and/or cry at every little thing? I read sweet poems, my eyes water. I see some touching story on tv, I cry. I read blogs about sick kiddos and I bawl. Someone sent me a mother's day poem, I got choked up.

Really?

I mean, I was always sad to see a child get hurt or would feel touched by a sweet poem, tv show, etc. but now I CRY. Every. Single. Time. It's ridiculous.

I recently got an email about the cost of raising a child today. It gives a dollar amount then says, "But you're rewarded with snuggles..." and goes on to list all the sweet things that parents get to enjoy from being parents. I CRIED.

Up in the cafeteria the other day at work, a little boy (maybe 3ish) asked one of his 3 older siblings to help him carry his piece of pizza so he could carry his jello. The older brother said, "No, you have to carry it." I grabbed what I wanted for lunch and as I turned around I saw spilled jello all over the floor. The little boy was crying, his obviously frazzled mother said, "Well, you have to pay attention to what you are doing." My heart broke for the little boy who had tears just streaming down his little cheeks so I rushed over and got him a new one. I asked mom if it was okay and followed them to the checkout and carried his food for him. I was even going to pay for it, but the mother already had. I got them a bag to carry all the food in and the cashier told me how nice that was... and I just nodded and paid for my meal and left. As I walked down the stairs to my office, I CRIED. Poor little boy.

Is this normal? I feel like a crazy person.

7 comments:

Katie Marie said...

Jerk older sibling. That was very sweet of you though.

I don't really cry. Even pregnant, I only cry when I am really really mad.

Shawna said...

I have never claimed normal, so I am not an expert on the subject. But you are not alone I do the same thing. I think you just have an extra big heart.

Megan said...

I am not pregnant, nor do I have kids - but I am just like you, and cry at all things kids! :)

Jen said...

I too only do this now that I am a mother... I was definitely more stoic before, but now I tear up at EVERY. LITTLE. THING. Gob, it's embarrassing.

SimplyBillie said...

I am more emotional after having kids, but I get even more so when I'm pregnant. It's unreal, the things that make me cry.

Anonymous said...

That mother was probably really relieved to have you there to give her a hand, even if she didn't show it.

And the thing with the crying? If it doesn't stop in a couple of weeks, and if you have trouble staying asleep or feel listless, please promise me you'll see a doctor for a depression screening.

Sending you lots of hugs!

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness that is sooo sad! Number 1 that kids older sibling needs to be alittle kinder. My boys act that way at times also but I pray when they're out in public they show their true colors and how nice they really are. Secondly it makes me realize that sometimes we don't handle things the way we should...I might have jumped on him for spilling if it had been me but would have quickly felt horrible. Makes me realize I need to think before I react. Thanks for posting this!!!!!

I cry at everythng now too....you're not alone!