Monday, September 29, 2008

30 Day Shred --- Or Dead.


Last week I got the idea to purchase the video by Biggest Loser's Jillian Michaels from reading Jen's blog. The video is 30 Day Shred and has 3 levels, level 1 being the easiest. It has her 3-2-1 system of 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. That's one cycle. You repeat these cycles about 4 times and by the end you think you are gonna die.

In high school and college I was in pretty decent shape. I jogged a few miles a day and lifted weights, did kickboxing, etc. Once I started dating my now-husband, I started packing on the pounds. I thought I had to eat when he ate, what he ate, etc. Now I'm very overweight. I've gained 100 lbs in 10 years. I'm a size 18 and I'm only 5'4". I'm not blaming my husband, because *I* made all those choices and haven't done much to get rid of the weight.

So here I am, trying to get rid of it and this video kicked my butt. I sweated, huffed and puffed, but managed to get through Level 1 on my first try. I can't say I did as many pushups as they did, but I kept going. At the end, I was exhausted and sweaty. It was HARD to get up off the floor but I managed somehow and was fine. This morning I didn't think about it and went to work. I didn't get a lot of sleep but other than that I felt normal. Started walking downstairs from our parking deck into the hospital and I had to grab onto the rails in case my legs collapsed on me. So much for normal. lol.

What do I like about the video? It's about 27 minutes (granted, the LONGEST 27 minutes of your life!!) but you hit it hard and then you're DONE. I didn't get to check out the eating guide and whatnot, as I was trying to workout while Joe was getting Bayley ready for bed. I don't have a lot of time to workout and exercise because my hands are full from the time I get up to the time I get ready for bed. But I can squeeze in 27 extra minutes when Bay goes to bed. Or once I'm brave enough, I may try getting up a little earlier to do it. We'll see about that.
What do I not like about it? The person you watch for the "beginners" level isn't much different than what the "advanced" person does. It's not totally realistic for obese people, but if you can just keep moving the entire time I think that's probably okay.
The video cost me $10 at Wal-Mart and I definitely got my money's worth. I am going to try to get in a workout this evening, provided my muscles didn't boycott me.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good for you!!!! Its funny cause I bought it too after reading Jen's post about it. I figure I will look at it until March and then hit it hard after the doctor ok's me to work out before the wedding! Good luck. Keep us posted on how you are doing with it.

Cristina Mathers said...

good for you! that's a step in the right direction for sure. i have gained 50lbs in 5 years and really need to get motivated. maybe i'll check it out!

Court said...

Duuuuude. You're brave for doing the Shred. I bought a Biggest Loser workout tape. I thought It'd be easier and....I feel better watching fat people work out (cause I'm a fatty).

Jillian scares me!!!

Jen said...

OMG! Stairs are the WORST! I have to say that soreness gets better though. I have done the video (either levels 1 or 2) 8 times in the last 11 days and I feel like I have much more endurance now than I did at the beginning- I am also seeing changes in my body ALREADY. I fooking HATE the pushups though. HATE!