Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Otoscope Or Not To Otoscope?


I took Bayley to the pediatrician last week. We saw a different doctor than usual and I sort of interrogated the doctor, much to hubby's chagrin. Since taking her off the antibiotics, she has improved and I think she's fine now. She still has a juicy cough occasionally but I don't think it's antibiotic-worthy. I just want to make sure her little ears are okay.


So instead of dragging her to our pediatrician's office again, I was looking into buying a home otoscope. That's the thing with the light on it that the doctor looks into their little ears with. You can get one online for as little as $30, but I don't want the generic cheapy version. I also know that you can get 10 doctors looking at the same ear and get 10 different ideas. So I'm just not sure. I'm not looking to replace her doctor but I want to learn what her ear normally looks like so I can tell when it's starting to get infected so I can take her to the doctor. She does not run fevers and she has never pulled at her ear. She's only had one ear infection so I know I'm jumping the gun. I'm OCD, I know. It's overkill but I'm a first-time mom with a little medical knowledge (just enough to think I know something but I really don't).


I think I just over-used the word "know." Just a random side note: "know" was the one word I missed in 1st grade at the reading circle. I didn't get the fuzzy Halloween sticker that day in my book because I missed my word. I was so sad. I've hated that word ever since.


Anyway... what would you do? I could buy the book, look at all my neighbor's kids' ears and ask the pediatricians I work with a million questions. I always wanted to go to med school but never did. Many of my friends became physicians. Two even became pediatricians. I have decided not to buy one right now and let this obsession go for a bit. But I did get one neighbor whose daughter has had several ear infections to buy one. I didn't convince her, I just told her about my idea for Bayley and she got one for her daughter. So I guess I can go use hers and look at everyone. :)


Go ahead, tell me I'm neurotic. I know.

9 comments:

Christy said...

If she continues getting ear infections, I would definitely recommend getting one. But who knows, she might never have another ear infection, and then you have wasted your money.

Court said...

GOSH YOU'RE SO NEUROTIC!!!

Okay I'm just kidding. I think you were right to NOT buy one and just use the neighbors to satisfy your curiosity.

BTW, that little side note was hilarious. I mean, it was so sad. Poor Jennifer.

misguidedmommy said...

i dont know how to email you so i'll reply here. YOUR FUCKING HILARIOUS. OMG dress up like hgtv. that is something I would say. It is something I would do. I full plan to stage the house for the after pictures. I have zero help though, they are all either pregnant or busy.

Just Jiff said...

you can email me at jenntarver@yahoo.com or click on my profile for the link. :)

Stephanie said...

I don't know if I would get one yet. However, if she continues getting ear infections, I would. My sister used to get them all the time to the point that they almost had to put tubes in her ears. Since it occured so often, we knew the signs right away on what to look for with her. The more knowledge you have though, the better.

Jen said...

What causes ear infections anyway? Is there a way to prevent them? Cole has never had one. It would never occur to me to get the scopy thingy- however, it might not be a bad idea.

Wow!I was NO HELP here.

angie said...

I can't believe you remember missing the word know in first grade and missing out on your Halloween sticker! The teacher in me wants to send you a package of fuzzy Halloween stickers to fix the crushing blow from your first grade teacher haha!

I would have never thought to get the scope thingy, but I think you need to do what feels right in your heart. It's not like you looking in her ears is going to hurt her so if it gives you some peace of mind then I say get it :)

Shawna said...

You work in a pedi office right? Couldn't you use the one from there? We have one at work, not that I would know exactly what I was looking for if I did use it. But one of the nurses I work with who use to be a pedi nurse offered to check Ella's ears out for me. Maybe ask around and one of your co-workers will help you.

Shawna said...

You work in a pedi office right? Couldn't you use the one from there? We have one at work, not that I would know exactly what I was looking for if I did use it. But one of the nurses I work with who use to be a pedi nurse offered to check Ella's ears out for me. Maybe ask around and one of your co-workers will help you.