Monday, January 26, 2009

Jerk of the Year Award Nomination.


Bayley yesterday evening, eating her dinner.

Why is it that I feel like a total jerk? Well, let me tell you.

Bayley has been running a fever since Thursday-ish. I alternated Motrin and Tylenol for a day until it was down. I know she's teething and it's cold season. Teething can cause low-grade temps and that's fine. Motrin was given every 6 hours during the day and then she'd go overnight with nothing. She was waking up promptly at 6am crying and demanding attention, which is very unlike her. So I give her Motrin, let it kick in, and she calms down. It's teething, right?

Well this morning she was VERY fussy,even stuffier than she has been, and her tummy seems to be bothering her last night and this morning. So she has a cold.

Until I speak with one of the peds I work for. He says that I'm disguising her fever and she may have a UTI or ear infection. I need to stop giving Motrin, see if her fever comes back...and if it does, give her Tylenol. No more Motrin. He says I have given her enough Motrin to potentially cause gastritis. So yay me. I've upset Bayley's stomach lining by trying to keep her gums out of pain.

Give me my Jerk of the Year award now, please.

Thanks.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Why don't babies come with a MANUAL?! Stupid Motrin.

PinkPiddyPaws said...

You are NOT a jerk .. you are just a new mommy and it takes time. Heck, no one ever gets it right, you just keep practicing. :)

Christy said...

You aren't a jerk. You were just trying to help your baby feel better. That makes you a great mommy.

Stephanie said...

You aren't a jerk at all!!!! Poor thing (you that is). Good thing you are able to ask people that you work with and you know. You were doing what you felt was best for your little one. No one can fault you for that! You are awesome!