Joe and I were talking in the car the other day about hobbies. One thing I've always admired about him (other than his extremely awesome work ethic) is that he knows what he loves and he finds a way to DO all of it. I can tell you exactly what he loves to do and how he incorporates it into his life. He's a very active, outgoing, outdoorsy guy. He loves to kayak, camp, be outside doing something, mountain biking/trail riding, used to skateboard and rollerblade when he was younger, he loves poetry, music, and power tools. He also loves movies and vampire/werewolf especially. He can name most any plant and animal and tell you something about it. He's my own poor (haha) version of Jeff Corwin. He's very interested in conservation and cleaning up the planet. All of his hobbies coincide with each other, really. It's pretty amazing to sit back and think about his interests and how he incorporates them all into his life. He works full time as a landscape supervisor, goes to school full time in the evenings for Biology with an emphasis in Wildlife Managment and Conservation. He wants to work for the state Game & Fish Commission working with large animals like bears.
The man can sing songs without music because he remembers all the lyrics and when he doesn't, he adds something randomly funny instead like he meant to do it that way. He can quote movies after watching it ONCE. Drives me insane. When he hangs out with his paddler buddies (aka "kayakers") they sing around a campfire and he can lead because he knows all the words... but he doesn't play guitar. He wants to learn, though.
He spent most of his 20s being wild and crazy and working and dating and he got a girl pregnant. They had a son. That tamed him quite a bit. But he still does all of the things he enjoys and the neighborhood kids LOVE him. "Miss Jennifer, is Joe home?" They want to play air hockey, foosball, table hockey, catch, go ride bikes, etc with him.
When the kids get out a ramp for skateboards or bikes, Joe is out there with them. The moms all stand around with their cell phones waiting for Joe to bust something and call 911. But they think he's hilarious and get a kick out of him.
So. All that said. (Which was a lot, sorry for that.)
What are MY hobbies?
After high school, my 20s were spent in college and working. I went to a college 300 miles away and made new friends, but most of us were older students. I helped pay my way and never actually finished. (That's another post.) I spent 10 years in college, people. Granted, many of the semesters were me taking just 2 courses or withdrawing all together. But I am considered a senior. I have written a senior paper in mathematics. Eew, I know. :)
I look back at what did I do during my 20s. I worked and went to school. Hobbies? None. I used to jog and workout for a stress relief, but my time was spent with my sheltie Baleigh and studying or sleeping. I did go to some of the local bars but that just wasn't me. I worked and went to school. That's it. I was poor so I couldn't afford to buy or do anything fun.
Then I started dating Joe and moved back to my hometown and we ended up getting married, buying a house, putting Baleigh to sleep, and having a baby in the span of 5 years. I love being a wife and mom. I realized I didn't have hobbies when Joe would go on his camping trips or go kayaking. I went with him a few times but I hate snakes and I prefer to sleep in a soft, warm bed instead of a sleeping bag on the bumpy ground. I love the water, but am not interested in being strapped into a kayak and smack my knuckles on rocks when trying to get through a whitewater rapid. I'd rather be in a swimming pool where the water is chemically treated.
I don't have the balance for skateboarding but I used to love to iceskate and rollerblade. A few years ago Joe and I decided to go iceskating and I had a lot of trouble, despite being pretty decent for a long time before. Instead of playing catch with the kids, I am a spectator. Usually the smaller kids come to me to tell about what happened on a cartoon or something they did that day.
Since being with Joe, I realized I'm pretty boring and it made me wonder what do I like to do? Then I had a baby and WOW. I realized who cares if I have interests, I don't have time for them. But now that Bayley is a year old, I have a little more time on my hands while she contentedly plays in the floor with her toys.
I like to cook. I don't know a lot about food, but I love creating something that tastes good and looks appetizing. Joe and I have both gained weight since we've been together so we're well fed. :) I like to look up recipes and try out new things, but Joe is a meat and potatoes man and doesn't like "sweet" foods unless it's a dessert, onions, mushrooms, or vegetables. So its harder to find things to make. I do like to bake, too.
Photography is really something I'd like to get more into. I love my camera but I don't know much about it. I like capturing a moment, taking endless photos of Bayley, and surrounding myself with photos of Joe and Bayley. It's hard to know where to start but I guess I can start with my instruction manual. I just get tired of reading.
I used to make fun of "crafts" but now I find myself wanting to do them. I am recently into learning how to make bows for Bayley. I make cute bow holders but I'm still working on bows. It's actually pretty fun to me. I like dressing her up and making her look all girly. Scrapbooking is something I'd like to learn, but haven't done that yet. I'm thinking about doing a scrapbook of Bayley for my mom for her birthday in July. My neighbor does it so she said she'd help me. Sewing is something I'd like to get better at. Right now I can make a pillow. lol. I can't read a pattern, but I'd like to learn. Another neighbor does this, but we both have 1 year olds and it gets hard to find time to get together sometimes. But our husbands get along super well too so we get together when we can.
I am so absorbed with Bayley that she's all I talk about on here. Part of that is being a new mom, I know, but I really need to feel like I can excel in a hobby. Joe is really good at a lot of things, and me ... not so much. I need to work on that. I do make a mean fruit dip, though. :) Just ask any of the kiddos in my neighborhood.
So I guess I've rambled on long enough about this... even though I have a lot more to say.
Do you find yourself being absorbed in work, parenting, etc? Or do you have a hobby you excel at?
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Parenting ALWAYS comes first. Followed by wife and employee. I am a workaholic though so sometimes work creeps into the second position and every now and then into the first (only when husby can cover for me).
I don't like having free time though and think alone time is important for my sanity. Running is my favorite way to feel like I am getting some mommy time. It is one of the only ways I feel refreshed.
Parenting comes first and second and well I don't work anymore. And I have two hours a week where I am alone so I guess that leaves little time for hobbies..as time goes on that will change-I will have more time and so on,,
I never had any hobbies before I became a stay-at-home mommy. But being stuck in the house all day made me feel like a useless lump. So I started scrapbooking. Then I started crocheting. And now I am thinking about taking a sewing class.
My husband and I always talk about hobbies... and how I wish I had one. All of the things you listed are on my list: cooking- I really enjoy it, photography- we have a really nice camera that I need to learn how to use, sewing- I really want to learn but I bet I never will, and scrapbooking- I have a ton of supplies that I was going to use to make a scrapbook for the family I used to nanny for...that never happened. Right now my focus is on Harper, but one of these days I will dive right into a one of these hobbies!
I want the fruit dip recipe! I'm going through that whole "What am I doing with my life?" Moment, too. That seems to happen quite a bit with me. I have things I enjoy, but I don't have a lot of time to do them. I'm trying to change that. Figure out what exactly I want to do...
Yeah, my husband and I were both huge outdoor enthusiasts before we had Cole. We mountain biked, skiied, snowboarded, hiked, climbed rocks, snowshoed, skateboarded, longboarded, rode our bikes EVERYWHERE and were basically in really good shape. NOW- well, we don't have time for most of those things- and some of them are dangerous enough that we don't want to do them anymore now anyway, but we are both really into cooking, which is something we have to do daily, so that's good. I try to focus a lot on nutrition and I am going back to school for it in a few months so I count that as a hobby. I also do a lot of yoga and pilates, but only for about a half an hour a day, first thing in the morning. I can never find time at other times in the day.
I have been teaching myself how to sew and how to garden organically. I have recently been spending my time ripping up our front "lawn" (mostly weeds and moss) so I can plant more vegetables. My hobbies definitely keep me closer to home these days... with my son. Of course anything I can do while multitasking and listening to my audiobook is a BONUS!
I used to adore scrapbooking. But it takes so much time and i'm two years behind on brandon and i'm behind on codi's entire life. ugggggggggggggg
i love riding my bike. i'm learning to garden (i suck at the whole remembering to water part)
i love love love cooking. i would love to write a book. a parenting book. the real kind. the kind that tells you there are days you would rather have baby shit smeared on your face then have sex with your husband because you are so goddamn fucking exhausted
Seriously seems like when we have kids our hobbies get thrown out the window. Hope you can find time to do something you enjoy!
Isn't blogging a hobby? That's about all I have time to do these days!
can you count blogging as a hobby?
Post a Comment