Thursday, February 28, 2008

I HATE our joke of a legal system.

I am so mad I can't see straight. I'm shaking and I'm bound to make up some cuss words. So if you don't want to read some MAJOR CUSSING and COMPLAINING, then just stop now. Seriously.

You were warned.

So some asshole stole my purse in December, two weeks before Christmas. The cops told me there was nothing they could do because it wasn't worth their time to track down a purse snatcher. I filed a police report, closed my checking account, cancelled debit cards, put fraud alerts on my credit reports, etc. We changed all the deadbolts on our house and bought the Club for our cars. Yes, he possibly had my car keys too. He dumped my purse in the trash in the men's restroom in the building where I worked. The housekeeper said he was about 5'7" or 5'8", black and had weird eyes. There has been a rash of thefts here where I work. It's someone who doesn't work here but knows what they're doing. And apparently knows that no one will bother to come after them.

The next morning, the fraud dept at the bank calls us to ask if we'd tried to use our debit card. No, it was stolen. Duh. So the guy had tried to use it at a gas station and it was denied. No one wanted to see the video surveillance of the guy at the gas station. I asked and was told by the police that the bank would have to request it. And the bank said it wasn't a big deal. TO THEM, maybe.

A month later we get a letter from a collection agency for a check that was written to a grocery store we never shop at in a town we definitely never shop in for groceries. They said if we didn't write the check, we should send in a copy of the police report and an affadavit of forgery from the bank. I did. And then I get another nasty letter from them saying they're going to turn us into the police if I don't submit the documents. HELLO! I DID! They didn't take care of it and instead turned it over to a police department several towns away for violation of the hot check law. I didn't know this until yesterday afternoon when I get home from work and there is a letter in the mail stating that there is a WARRANT OUT for my husband FOR HIS ARREST. They don't tell you what check or anything, just that it's a Hot Check violation. So I call and call and call at 6pm and finally talk to someone. They said, "Bring that documentation to the police dept and they can talk to him."

So Joe misses work today to go "talk" to them. Apparently, providing all that isn't enough. He had to fill out paperwork and THEY TOOK HIS FUCKING PICTURE LIKE HE WAS A FUCKING CRIMINAL!!! Then he was scheduled to go to COURT in April for an arraignment. This means he says "Hey, I'm not guilty." Then they schedule ANOTHER FUCKING COURT DATE. Is THIS why our court systems are SO FUCKING BACKED UP?!?!? And THIS is how we SPEND OUR TAX DOLLARS?!!?!?!? Give me a freaking break.

So the second court date is for Joe to provide handwriting samples and whatever other bullshit the judge feels necessary. Then the judge decides if Joe is guilty or if the case will be dismissed. That probably won't happen til months later. Bayley will have been born by then and we'll have to celebrate her birthday in court. No wonder these jerkoffs steal purses all the time. No one cares enough to DO something about it.

And to top all of this off, he's missing at least 3 days of work for it and those are days he could be using to take care of Bayley this summer until my cousin can watch her. So now we're going to be out that money for daycare that we can't afford.

I know I need to calm down because I'm very pregnant. I don't need my BP to spike and hurt the baby. But I'm just SO sick and tired of stupid shit happening to us. We're good people who rescue animals, pay our bills, help recycle and clean up the environment, take care of our families and friends when they need something, and we work hard for what we get and take care of it once we have it. We are good neighbors and we watch out for all the kids in the neighborhood when we're outside. We help people out when we can, although we don't make a lot of money so paying our bills takes up most of our money. But we DO help by lending a hand or our time. And THIS is how we are repaid. I just deleted a bunch of things that we go through because it has NOTHING to do with this check thing and I was just venting. I'm tired of all the stupid bullshit that happens to us. Pure and simple.

I realize I'm probably over-reacting because of my hormones. Joe called me to check on me and I couldn't stop crying. He kept saying, "Honey, it's okay. We'll get through this. It's not a big deal. At least I got out of work for the rest of the day to go paddle (kayak). " It SO sucks. And I feel like a big blubbering baby for sitting here at my desk crying. I know things could be MUCH worse and I'm thankful I at least have what I do have. I'm very fortunate. I'm just pissed. And apparently Bayley feels badly for me cause she has finally stopped kicking me in the ribs.

8 comments:

Christy said...

That really stinks. I am so sorry.

Lindz said...

Lame, I'd be pissed off too. And if it makes you feel any better, I hate the legal system too, and the cops. They both suck.

angie said...

Oh I don't think you are overreacting. I would have been LIVID if I was you! At least Joe is doing ok with it so that isn't an added stress for you but seriously how ridiculous is it that he has to go through all of this AFTER YOU PROVIDED ALL THE DOCUMENTATION THAT WAS REQUIRED OF HIM!!!

I hope this gets much better for you and I love Bayley's name...it's very cute!

Cristina Mathers said...

omg, i don't think it's your hormones, you have every right to be mad. it's awful that you have to put up with that! no fair! hope it gets better soon.

Stefanie said...

Such a joke! I can not believe you have to go through all of that when you did all of the right things!

Shawna said...

It is like they are punishing the victim. It is ridiculous.

Hope you are having a much better day.

And everything will work out.

Jen said...

I would have cried too- like TOTALLY. I cried over waay less important things when I was preggers. It is freaking ridiculous that we waste tax dollars on going after LAW ABIDING CITIZENS for stupid shit that other BAD PEOPLE DO! OMG WHAT THE FOOK?! I AM MAD FOR YOU! I want to kick that bastard's ass that stole your purse. I hope he slams his weener in a door and it falls off! I REALLY DO!

Stephanie said...

I would be just as mad at you and don't think you are over reacting at all. You would totally think that something more should be done and you guys shouldn't have to put up with so much shit!