My purse was stolen from work (not by co-workers) two weeks before this past Christmas. My purse was thrown into the men's bathroom trashcan but my wallet, my keys, and checkbook were gone. We're not sure if my keys were taken or if they just ended up in the trash compactor. My husband had to come to my work and bring me a key to my car so I could drive home. We called our banks and credit card companies, etc. When we got home, we put our "mean" dog Deejay in the house and went to get new locks for the house. My handyman hubby changed ALL the deadbolts on our house and we got the Club for our vehicles. I didn't sleep well that night because I was terrified someone was going to break into our house. We filed the police reports, etc. and have only had one collection letter about a check written to a grocery store. We haven't heard anything else since. Until today. Some lady called my husband and said that she was attacked and mugged the SAME DAY and near the place of attack, she found some of my stolen documents (social security card, etc. ) and would like to return them. She explained where she lived and where she worked. My husband even called her place of employment and verified that yes, she works there but was out today. I barely caught all of the conversation because I was running into work and the reception in my office is terrible. So we hang up and I begin to over-analyze. I decide that I think this is a scam and I do NOT want him to call her back to arrange a meeting time. I want to know why she did not turn my documents in to police and why she is JUST NOW getting to us. She had apparently searched for us on the internet and eventually found out where my husband worked. Now, I keep thinking... this a lot of work for a good samaritan. I don't mean to be so suspicious, but HELLO -- I'm 6.5 months pregnant and I don't want another scam! I know the extreme is that two guys would show up, beat up or kill my husband for his wallet and then I'd have to raise this child by myself. (TOLD YOU I over-analyze.) I've also heard of scams where they arrange to meet you and then instead of meeting you, they go to your house and rob you.
:: pulling hair out ::
So what to do?
I called the PD in my town and asked them to drive past my house to make sure no one was breaking in. I let them know that NO ONE was home and there should be NO activity. Then I called the PD of the city I work in and let them know what happened. They don't seem overly concerned, of course, but told me that I could arrange to have them meet me but have a police officer with me. So I will let my husband do that... WITH A POLICE OFFICER. And of course if I have some protection with me at home. Protection being a cop, of course.
******************
Okay, I must move on.
So yesterday, I left work early to run several errands and my last one was to get my oil changed. I go to one of those wonderful places where you drive up and stay in your car and they change your oil from below. So I have my driver's side window rolled down so they can tell me when to turn my car on and when to shut it off, etc. As I'm pulling out, my window won't roll up. The other windows work. And the locks work. So I'm guessing the motor has burn out on the window. I'm NOT happy. I get home and tell my hubby we need to move the pool table, table hockey, and foosball tables because I need to park my car in the garage because it's supposed to STORM all night. Those massive thunder/tornado storms in the news that killed 12-13 Arkansans? Yep, those storms. Well, we got a neighbor to help us move some things around and I BARELY got my car in. Then I had to get out. They were laughing at me saying I'd have to "pull a Dukes of Hazzard" to get out of the car. So I glare at them, open the door as far as I can, and turn sideways. I have to stand on my tippy toes to get my belly over my door handle and scooch out. They are laughing but are surprised I get out. Jerks.
Anyway, the mechanic I use is wonderful and is the step-father of a friend of mine, so I trust him. He fixed my heater and is looking into my A/C to see why that isn't working. (That was what my original appt was for.) So far my bill is around $140 and he hasn't fixed the A/C yet. Sheesh. When it rains, it pours. :(
Okay, I MUST end on a HAPPY NOTE. Well, a funny one. Last night Joe was sitting on the couch eating Cherry Garcia and Z decides to run up and start bugging Joe to wrestle with him. (The same thing he did that time he threw the massive tantrum.) So Joe is pushing him away and finally just grabs Z with one arm and holding him down while he munches on his ice cream. Z is laughing and screaming and squirming around... so I get a piece of ice and hand it to Joe. He puts it down Z's pants and Z stars screaming, "It's COLD!!! It's COLD!!" and Joe finally lets him up and Z is laughing and grabbing the back of his pants, dancing around. Z's laughing really hard and then he just stops, looks at us, then poots. Ugh. Then he says, "Well, that should warm it up."
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Z is so cute! What am awesome thing to say. Seth always says he has barking spiders. It's cute.
So sorry about your purse and your car window. That sucks so much. I would be just as paranoid as you, so I definitely don't think you are being any sort of crazy.
Oh and I went the to store tonight and loaded up on what you told me! Thanks lady!! :)
Ha ha ha what a cute kid.
Dude I would totally be suspicious too. Good idea on calling the cops. Let us know what happens with all that.
OMg I SOOO Do NOT thing you are overreacting or overanalyzing the whole situation with meeting with some random person that has the documents that were STOLEN from you.. HELLO?! Sounds like a scam to me! Glad you are taking precautions! GEEZE! I am also super-paranoid. I blame my mother. And Shannon.
Post a Comment